1937 modifications to the lower three floors of
the 1916 addition allowed for the creation of
three additional banquet rooms on the ballroom
floor. At the same time the old oak paneled Grill
and Men's Cafe were being
removed from the ground floor. It seemed logical
to recycle the fine paneling into the new ballrooms.
of this came the English Room and the Oak Foyer.
The two rooms, along with the adjacent Michigan
Room, were designed to function as a team. The
English Room could accommodate 175 for meetings
with the Oak Foyer acting as a registration room
or 'spillover' room.
rooms remained intact until the hotel's closing
in 1975. It appears that the fine oak paneling
was removed and sold during the liquidation sale
in the early months of 1976. Today the rooms are
intact but bare of wood.